Guinea Bissau 】
A team of technicians from China, that since October have been carrying out geological prospecting work as part of the project for construction of the second phase of the fishing port of Alto Bandim in Bissau, Guinea-Bissau, concluded its work recently, the administrative director of the port said on Thursday.
Hugo Nosoline Vieira said that the Chinese team drilled a total 24 holes on land and at sea next to the port and said that the samples collected will now be sent to a specialised laboratory in China, one of the conditions to finalise the project.
If the results are positive, the construction of the second phase of the fishing port, whose project is financed entirely, in the form of a donation, by the People’s Republic of China in the amount of US$26 million, is scheduled to begin in January 2018, he added.
The agreement for this donation was signed in August 2001, and since then, three teams of Chinese technicians have been sent by Beijing to present the project to the Guinea-Bissau authorities, as well as to conduct topographical and geological prospecting on land and at sea near the fishing port.
The project includes construction of a floating bridge of 50 metres along the existing ramp, the paving and construction of drainage ditches, a water reservoir with a capacity of 1,000 cubic metres and clearing of debris around the new infrastructures, along with an anti-erosion system, stairways to land fish and dykes for protection of ships.
The first phase of the construction of the fishing port of Alto Bandim was financed by the African Development Bank with US$4 million and included the construction of a pier, a fish auction and administrative building.
The government expects the facility to provide the conditions to carry out inspections and observe the recommended hygiene requirements before domestic consumption and export of fish. (macauhub)